Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 8 First Day of Service Week

Today (Monday) was the first day of Service Week! We got to tour the Praksis office and learn how their system works. They explained to us what they do when a new immigrant or person in need comes in for the first time. We learned how and what information they enter into their computer database. They explain the legal steps in the process of gaining asylum in Greece. This can get difficult because people come from many different countries and speak various languages. Hopefully they bring an interpreter with them or someone at Praksis can explain everything to them. We also learned that they receive a Praksis identification number and are then filed into the system. I was able to return someone's file to its location. I couldn't believe how many files there were. It was easy just to find my number and slip the folder in its place, but I couldn't help but think about how each number represents a person, a life. Praksis helps hundreds, maybe even thousands, of people here. Although we didn't have much hands-on work and most of us just felt in the way all day, I was inspired by the work they do and the peoples' lives they have an impact on. Some girls were lucky and got to see the actual doctor's office/"operating room". Just being in the office and understanding how Praksis is organized was very interesting.

After observing at Praksis, we broke into our community groups and went to a park where we had a great discussion about "Walking in Abdul's Shoes". I really enjoy hearing what each person in my group has to say. I am really thankful for the opportunity to be a CGL! I'm learning so much about leadership and about myself. Our discussion was really engaging and thought provoking. Looking forward to our next CG activity. Afterwards, we had lunch at "Pita Pan" (lol) in Victoria Square, a place where many immigrants hang out. It was interesting to watch them interact and respond to our presence there. Then one of our girls was standing under a tree and got pooped on by a pigeon! Gross! It was bound to happen eventually- there are so many of those darn birds everywhere!

This was the only picture I took today (because we aren't allowed to take pictures at Praksis):

Me and the roomies ate at this place called "La Pasteria". We split this huge Caesar salad and a Margarita pizza- it was delicious!


Thanks for reading!
xoxo,
Jenna

3 comments:

  1. I can imagine that the workers at Praksis are so thankful to have all of you helping them this week! I'm sure you are giving them such a lift! One of my favorite quotes is "There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting other people up." - John Andrew Holmes. Y'all are getting a lot of exercise this week - I'm sure - lifting the spirits of all the Praksis workers, the immigrant/refugees, and their children!

    P.S. The Margharita pizzas were one of my favorite foods while we were there! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to think that the only way some people are known is simply by a number, kind of puts everything in perspective when you think of it that way. On our worst days, compared to them, we still have so much. All they have is a number.
    Haha nothing like getting pooped on by a bird! I know the feeling, yuck! And you all split that salad?? I would so eat all of that by myself, yall must not have been that hungry, or either from my computer it just looks really small.

    ReplyDelete