Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 1 in Glyfada!

On Sunday May 9th, I (along with 28 other Global LEAD Greece students) boarded our plane in Atlanta, GA around 4:30 pm for about an 11 hour flight to Greece. I didn't sleep much on the plane but was super excited for landing. No naps for us- we hit the ground running! We loaded up the bus and made our way to check in, drop off our things, and freshen up!

Our hotel is nice! We have a pool and good water pressure (the essentials). I am rooming with two other girls from UGA- Rachel & Kelsey- who are both super sweet! The apartment has a bedroom, bathroom, living room, kitchenette, and a balcony that overlooks the pool. Pictures to come...
We walked from our hotel to the main part of town, only about a 10 minute trip. We ate lunch at Zaxos. I had my first gyro!



Then we split up into community groups for a scavenger hunt. There are four community group leaders and I am so excited to be one! My group of girls is great but we didn't do so great in the hunt. We need to brush up on our Greek! But it was cool to run around the town looking for stuff like Starbucks, taking pictures of us hugging a church or on a beach or with a random stray dog, and asking how to say basic phrases in Greek. The locals were probably thinking "these crazy Americans" but everyone was so nice and helpful. We'll find out tomorrow which group won... haha!

Then we came back to the hotel to get settled and clean up for dinner. We took our tour bus to a restaurant that overlooked the harbor! I can't wait to get to the beach! The water is soooo blue! We watched the sunset while we ate a HUGE Greek meal- like 10 or more dishes (almost like tapas style). I can't name everything we had, but yall would be proud to know that picky-eater Jenna tried ALL of it! I enjoyed most everything and was so full at the end of the meal. Our tour operator Aliki, a sweet Greek woman, told me that the reason was because of all the bread I was eating (she said this as I was stuffing another piece of bread in my mouth)! Haha! I really enjoyed sitting with her at dinner and getting to know more about Greece and her life here. She was so good at explaining what each plate was. Here are a few pictures from dinner: (I need to do better at taking more pictures. Didn't get any of people which is a shame because we all looked so cute!)





















There were many other yummy dishes that I didn't get pictures of and there was no way to capture the beauty of the sunset that mixed blue and pink skies above the blue water. Looking forward to many more sunsets here in Greece! Hope you are enjoying the blog! Love and miss everyone at home!

xoxo,
Jenna

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering looking at that greek salad!! One of my favorite dishes while we were there! So proud of my picky eater for challenging her taste buds! Remember like I tell Cleve - your taste buds mature just like you do so always be ready to try new things!

    Love you sweetie! Can't wait to read and see more pictures! Most definitely need to take more of the people! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful!! Not sure about those humongous sausage looking things though. Ha!

    ReplyDelete