Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 10 Playtime at Praksis

Today (Wednesday) we had a party at Praksis for the children of the refugees. Before we left Georgia, we were asked to bring a few toys or activities with us to share with the kids. My favorite thing I brought was party packs of play-dough minis and the children seemed to enjoy it as well! I love kids so much and was so excited to spend the day just playing and interacting with them despite language and cultural barriers. But when we first got there, I was really emotional. I didn't immediately jump into playing like I expected I would. I wanted to make a special connection with one child so badly that I think I was either afraid that I wouldn't or that I would and then have a hard time leaving him/her. So I think I was hesitant and instead I sat back and just observed for the first hour or so. It brought me so much joy to see the smiles on the kids faces and watch as they colored or played with balloons.

Finally, the cutest Sudanese boy named Peter walked through the door. I thought to myself "this is my kid"! But I soon realized that sweet little 3 year old Peter was very attached to his daddy. I reached out to hold his hand in order to lead him into party, but he pulled away and clung to his father. I understood and stepped back. It took at least an hour for Peter to let his father go farther than 1 foot away from him. He loved to play with toy cars and was content with just pushing them back and forth. At one point, he found a pack of Hot-Wheels and I was the first person he asked to open them for him. He was so happy to hold all 5 cars at once but didn't show too much excitement on his face. I tried to help him move out of the walk way so he wouldn't get stepped on but he didn't understand, thinking I was trying to take the toys away. He almost hit me with his car. It just made him even more cute in my eyes.

Later while coloring, I met Samira! She is a beautiful 8 year old from Afghanistan with pretty long brown hair, big brown eyes, teeth slightly too big for her mouth (reminded me of myself when I was younger), gold earrings, a blue and silver cross necklace, and a timid but sweet spirit. She didn't speak any English or really much of anything. She was very quiet but her face, especially her eyes, lit up whenever something made her happy. I shared my bubbles with her and showed her how to blow bigger or smaller ones as well as how to hold the wand up to get more bubbles to go farther and stay up longer. She loved the bubbles, maybe as much as I did. We tried to talk a little. I asked how old she was, how to spell her name, and what her favorite color was. She held up 8 fingers & I wrote the number 8 on the coloring paper to confirm. She pointed to the orange marker for her's and I showed her the pink one to tell her which color was my favorite. I really enjoyed watching her play and draw and blow bubbles.

When we were leaving Praksis to load the bus, I held back from the group to walk with Samira. Unsure of whether I would see her again, I told her that I had fun (which she might or might not have understood), smiled a big smile, and asked for a hug with outstretched arms. With the toys she was allowed to take home in her hands, she threw her little arms around me for a goodbye hug. It made my day! At the crosswalk, I stood next to Peter and his dad, who told me that the cute little boy with gorgeous eyelashes really liked our tour bus that was waiting for me across the street. His father joked that Peter would totally go with me if he could. I laughed and somewhat seriously considered taking him home with me because he was so adorable. I joked that I would take him with me right then. Before I could even ask for a hug, Peter threw his arms open and around me, willing to go. I was almost crying and laughing at the same time as I picked him up and twirled him around, secretly wishing I could take this little cutie with me for real. I can't even imagine some of the horrible things that these two innocent and beautiful children may have seen or experienced in their journeys from Afghanistan and Sudan to Greece. My heart was absolutely broken for their families and the hardships they must face as refugees. I pray for their safety and that they will find hope and love even in the middle of difficult situations. I hope that even in the simple smile or hug, I made an impact- a special connection- and that they will understand that they are valued and cherished.

I was so worried about getting too attached or not getting the opportunity to build a friendship at all. I loved spending time with all of the children- playing, laughing, coloring, and communicating without words! I wish we could stay longer and build stronger relationships with the kids. I want to know and understand more about the country and situation that they came from, the experiences and challenges they face here in Greece, and how they go about daily life. Today really has been one of the most amazing days in Greece!

xoxo,
Jenna

4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! This one made me cry! Wish I could meet your little friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom says you are not allowed to bring Greek boys home with you.....not even little babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I'm crying at this one too! I cna so totally see why the kids loved you. You're a natural with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That one got to me, have a weak spot for children. Couldn't imagine the heartache for those children. Glad that you all were there to bring some light into their dark world.
    My boy Peter! Automatically like this kid already, he loves cars! I would have said the same thing you said, "this is my kid!"
    And Samira, she sounds like a breathe of fresh air! Great feeling about working with kids is seeing them "get" something and they get so happy and could explode with joy.
    Again, really enjoyed this entry! Should really think about making a short book with all this stuff!

    ReplyDelete